Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Honda Reflex Group Digest Number 5003

Messages In This Digest (7 Messages)

1a.
Hard starting when cold From: gweideman2000
1b.
Re: Hard starting when cold From: BruceK
2a.
light covers/ melting? From: walter c
2b.
Re: light covers/ melting? From: Joe Barnhart
2c.
Re: light covers/ melting? From: BruceK
3a.
Re: The first ride From: Michael
4a.
Re: riding TWO up From: Michael

Messages

1a.

Hard starting when cold

Posted by: "gweideman2000" gweideman@hotmail.com   gweideman2000

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:38 am (PDT)



Well I finally got my carb cleaned, jet was clogged and now it runs well

But when it's cold it's hard to start and keep running until it warms up ...

I assume there is an automatic choke and it is likely not working ..

Any tips to diagnose ?

Thanks

1b.

Re: Hard starting when cold

Posted by: "BruceK" bruce@aplusservices.com   bruceakoehler

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:15 pm (PDT)



Possibly an air leak - maybe the carb isn't tight - or an air (vacuum) hose is loose or mis-routed.

There IS a "choke" of sorts - the Starting Enrichment Valve (SEV), but it is ON (choked) by default, and is "unchoked" by electrical current heating it. It is POSSIBLE that is is defective, but I think more likely an air leak.

Be sure to read the Starting Tips in the FILES section.

Please post back

Bruce

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "gweideman2000" <gweideman@...> wrote:
>
> Well I finally got my carb cleaned, jet was clogged and now it runs well
>
> But when it's cold it's hard to start and keep running until it warms up ...
>
> I assume there is an automatic choke and it is likely not working ..
>
> Any tips to diagnose ?
>
> Thanks
>

2a.

light covers/ melting?

Posted by: "walter c" captainwalt@yahoo.com   captainwalt

Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:20 pm (PDT)



Has anyone used the brightstar bulbs and have any problem with the extra heat from them melting the headlight covers? Had a friend say to not get the blue ones.
Walt in north Florida

2b.

Re: light covers/ melting?

Posted by: "Joe Barnhart" flaboye@gmail.com   jtbgnsv

Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:25 pm (PDT)



Well a 55w bulb should disperse a given amount of heat. I'm not a bulb
expert, so maybe the brighter ones put off more heat, even though they only
draw 55 watts? I do know the OEM's (obviously) and the silverstar's by
sylvania won't hurt the machine. The silverstar's are much brighter and a
more brilliant white, you'll like them if you are considering a bulb
change. However, they last about 1/2 as long. There is both a silverstar,
and a silverstar ultra, both will burn fine in the reflex, but again, they
don't last as long as the stock oem bulbs do.

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 4:20 PM, walter c <captainwalt@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
> Has anyone used the brightstar bulbs and have any problem with the extra
> heat from them melting the headlight covers? Had a friend say to not get the
> blue ones.
> Walt in north Florida
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2c.

Re: light covers/ melting?

Posted by: "BruceK" bruce@aplusservices.com   bruceakoehler

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:53 pm (PDT)



I use Sylvania Silverstar - they do burn brighter, whiter, and a bit hotter, but zero problems with the headlight reflector. They don't last as long because the filaments have less resistance than a normal bulb.

The Silverstars DO have a very slight blue coating (to block - absorb - yellow wavelength light).

Darker coatings that make the emitted light BLUE (or any intense color) would run hotter because the coating absorbs more wavelengths of energy.

Bruce

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "walter c" <captainwalt@...> wrote:
>
> Has anyone used the brightstar bulbs and have any problem with the extra heat from them melting the headlight covers? Had a friend say to not get the blue ones.
> Walt in north Florida
>

3a.

Re: The first ride

Posted by: "Michael" ashevilledairyqueen@yahoo.com   ashevilledairyqueen

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:29 pm (PDT)



Sounds great I can`t wait to pick mine up on Thursday :)

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "azul_fahrrad" <rwrouse@...> wrote:
>
> I have taken my Reflex out around the subdivision but had not been out in traffic untill last night.
>
> I had a round trip of about 7 miles, from the house to a restaurant and back again. I came home a different route than when I headed out. It went well all things considered, it's raining today so no riding today but It was so much fun I can't stop thinking about it. I can't wait to get it back out on the road again. I am so excited about riding my Reflex I feel like a kid on Christmas eve.
>

4a.

Re: riding TWO up

Posted by: "Michael" ashevilledairyqueen@yahoo.com   ashevilledairyqueen

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:41 am (PDT)



Nice post Randy its a shame they stopped making the backrest I don`t think I would feel safe until I get something back there before my little girl rides with me . I kinda like the idea of a Givi box back there with a pad for visibilty and safety but don`t really need the extra storage right now .

--- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, Randy Duncan <randyduncan@...> wrote:
>
>   I didn't do ANY adjustments to my bike for a passenger, but maybe I "should" adjust the shocks... just never knew (til this site) that it was possible... still set on factory settings.  I DO however highly recommend a backrest for your passenger.   I am 5'7", my gf is 5'2" so she's petite and I barely feel her on there.   My other riders previously were bigger, and DEFINITELY felt a difference in braking,  braking times, distances, etc.  Biggest difference with a passenger, for me, was turning, and the braking.
>  
> And I have THREE RULES I tell ALL my passengers:
>  
> 1.  if you are ever scared, worried, unsure,  feel like we're going too fast.... lightly tap me on the sides (or give me leg squeeze) and we will either slow down or stop, and you can get off or tell me why you are uncomfortable.    My GF gives me a little squeeze when she is uncomfortable with wind or speed, and I know automatically to slow down, change lanes, etc, make her feel more relaxed.   intuitive after 3 yrs of her riding w me.
>  
> 2.  Never,  NEVER EVER,  put your feet down on the ground while we are riding... ONLY when you are dismounting.
>  
> 3.  DONT get on the bike until I am ready for you to mount up.
>  
> 4.  (yeah, I said three, but there are 4 I usually tell my NEW riders)   Let ME BALANCE the bike... you just enjoy the ride, do NOT try to compensate in curves, etc.
>  
> also if they have ANY other questions or concerns, get it all out in the open first.   take a small "round the neighborhood street" ride with them just to give them an idea how it feels.    If you are going on a longer ride,  ALWAYS always bring water, wear helmets, safety jackets whenever possible, and EYE PROTECTION is CRITICAL.
>  
> now,  shutupnSCOOT.
>  
> Randy 
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups

Dogs Owners Group

Join Do More For Dogs

pet community

Group Charity

Citizen Schools

Best after school

program in the US

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Learn about issues

Find support

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment